Monday, February 11, 2008

Richard Zednik

In last night's game between Buffalo and Florida, Richard Zednik's carotid artery was sliced by Olli Jokinen's skate accidentally after Jokinen was upended. It was a scary moment. Zednik was rushed to the hospital and underwent emergency surgery to basically save his life. The good news is that the surgery was successful and he appears to being doing well with no brain damage.

The incident reminded me of the game in which former Caps goalie Clint Malarchuk had his throat slashed by a skate in a game also in Buffalo. If my memory serves me well, the incident happened after his playing days in Washington. It was a very scary and gruesome incident as well. I'm sure you can find the video on YouTube if you so desire.

I was part of the off ice staff for the Caps when "Fast Richard" first came into the league. He sure was cocky but he was a much needed injection of youth and speed for an aging, veteran team. I wish Zed all the best and hope he's back skating for Florida soon.

No comments: